Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Review: Post Grape-Nuts Fit

At first glance doing a review of a Grape-Nuts cereal sounds boring. How else could you describe a cereal that's not only been around for over 100 years, but in its original form comes close to ground gravel. Besides, it has the image of being the choice of health nuts (no pun intended). How much fun does all that sound?

What got my attention, however, was the newest version of Grape-Nuts, the first in decades: new Fit. Post has been up-dating their cereal lines since going independent, and has done some creative work. Even the stalwart Grape-Nuts has had a packaging facelift, and now a new variety to add to the brand. New Fit "fits" into the health orientation of the brand, and is promoted as "power-packed nutrition for your everyday adventure" and targeted to an active, younger customer. Fit comes in a unique cranberry vanilla flavor, and I'm sure that if it goes over well other varieties might be introduced as well.

One of the notorious facts about Grape-Nuts is that it contains neither grapes or nuts. The original formula was mainly made from wheat and barley. New Fit contains these same staple ingredients, but is expanded with such things as dried cranberries, oats and natural vanilla flavor. Overall, the range of flavors in these constituents makes for an interesting taste sensation, all without being sweet. It's not a taste knock-out, but it provides a pleasant palate experience that goes beyond the ordinary common in most cereals.

Fit is a medley, and one advantage of such mixes is that they can provide a variety of texture experiences. Fit contains crunchy nuggets of wheat, oat granola, puffed barley and dried cranberries. It holds together even in milk, although puffs tend to become slightly gummy. Also, I noticed that at the bottom of the bag the cereal broke down into crumbs much more than normal, so the last few bowls might end up somewhat disappointing.




Admittedly, eating healthy cereals doesn't have the same excitement as a highly-sweetened kids' cereal. Nevertheless, for their target audience Fit makes for an emotionally satisfying breakfast. There is no guilt, and you feel that this could actually boost your ability to stay active. You can't go wrong with that.


Fit lives up to its reputation as a healthy cereal. It has 6 grams of protein, 5 grams of fiber, a reasonable amount of sugar (only 16% of total weight), and a range of vitamins and minerals, including 50% of the Daily Value for folic acid. It also boasts 90% of the DV for iron, but this might be a little high, especially for men who are encouraged not to consume excess iron as they get older. Nevertheless, this is overall a nutritionally solid cereal.

As I commented in an earlier blog post, the target of new Grape-Nuts Fit is somewhat similar to Wheaties Fuel. Although less macho, it is directed at active people who want to look and feel great. In many ways, I prefer Fit over Wheaties Fuel. The latter is too sweet and doesn't have near the protein, so Fit might be a more sincere option for those who really want a breakfast of champions that they can also enjoy. 

(Review protocol HERE)

10 comments:

Jim Rayball said...

Interesting review. This cereal was not on my radar -- I will try it.

J. Rayball.

Anonymous said...

I jus tried it today. I really enjoyed it. I was nervous to try it because I always thought the grape nut brand was weird and looked distasteful. But I will buy again. Perfect for health

Carina Atherton-Childress said...

I loved original Grape Nuts, but now that I've had 'Fit', I'm in love again! I agree with every point of the review, too!

Unknown said...

I hate this product. I bought this by accident thinking it was my old "gravely" favorite, but when i poured it out, i had a serious wtf moment. Since i already had it poured out i gave it a try, and of course it's NOTHING like original grape nuts. After tasting it it, it has a very long lingering aftertaste that i can only describe as "corn pops". Also i dislike having my cereals pre-sweetened and this one is. Also, after reading the ingredients it has OIL?? I don't need oil in my cereal thanks. Overall i'm trashing the rest of this cereal and hoping i don't make this mistake again.

Anonymous said...

The worst cereal I've ever had. I thought it was Grapenuts with a little cranberries and vanilla, boy was I wrong!!! The puffed barley is horrible!

Anonymous said...

Not at all like Grape Nuts. Won't buy this again.

Anonymous said...

This is the best snack I've ever gotten, I'm so addicted I eat the small snack size baggies three-five times a day! I'd love to eat them as cereal but as soon as i see one im chowing down on it!

Patrice D. said...

I really enjoy this cereal, its quite flavourful and has fiber and is my new favourite cereal!
The only problem is that very few supermarkets in my area carry it.

Anonymous said...

Why would someone who liked Grape Nuts try this? I can get a fruit flavored cereal anywhere else on the shelf. I think our family will stick with what we like, and leave the "like other cereals" to the others.

Anonymous said...

Great as a snack food. Weird with milk.