Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Head-to-head: Custom cereals - Part 3

This is the third part of a series of posts about my recent experiences ordering from [me]&goji and MixMyGranola, the leading U.S. custom cereal manufacturers.

After placing my order I knew that I would have to wait for my order. To my amazement it didn't take as long as I had expected. Even though I live on the opposite side of the country from both of these companies I had my cylinders of custom cereal within just a few days. To be exact, my MixMyGranola shipment arrived in 2 business days via FedEx, and the [me]&goji order was only one day later via UPS. Pretty impressive.

Having received the goods it was fun to look over the canisters. Each had a custom label with the name of my mixture, the list of ingredients and the Nutrition Facts calculated according to my recipe. I noticed, however, the MixMyGranola's label was not completely accurate as it listed "Organic Granola" without breaking down what comprises that granola as they are required to do. (I could find this information on their website, however). Also, in keeping with the similarity between the companies, both cylinders had personalized, hand-written signatures and other markings such as happy faces, etc. from the individual who prepared my mix. Nice touches to reinforce the personalized service and custom nature of these products.

The big question is: What about the cereal itself? I am usually reluctant to review cereal by taste as that is largely subjective. But, let me briefly describe what I observed. [me]&goji's granola is definitely the more hearty of the two cereals. Even the base granola itself comes with extras like sunflower seeds, cashews and pumpkin seeds. Interestingly, when milk is added the density of the cereal prevents any floating. MixMyGranola is a much more basic granola mixture. As far as my taste preference is concerned, I tended to enjoy more the taste of MixMyGranola's version, probably because it contains more sugars and therefore is sweeter. But, both were great to eat and will not disappoint anyone who enjoys granola.

With my stomach full, in my next post I will offer some final reflections on this entire experience.

Technorati Tags: , , ,


No comments: