Thursday, January 03, 2008

Kellogg invests more in innovation

Bakery and Snacks.com recently reported that Kellogg will spend $40 million to expand its institute for food and nutrition research. The intent is more product innovation.

As someone who constantly calls for innovation in the cereal industry I applaud this investment. But, I am also cautious. Throwing money at research is in itself not going to promote cutting edge innovation. A culture of innovation is needed in companies like Kellogg, so that true breakthroughs can occur (not just new varieties of Froot Loops, etc.) As I have demonstrated on several occasions (example 1, example 2), there are innovators out there, but often they are small startups or fringe companies willing to step outside the "box" and take significant risks.


Technorati Tags: , , ,

1 comment:

None said...

I was trying to find your email but couldn't - so I hope you get this comment.

I love your blog. I do PR for a breakfast website called MrBreakfast.com - and would love for you to check out his breakfast product reviews. He's building the ultimate cereal database right now - compiling every breakfast cereal ever produced, and where possible even including the vintage commercials, etc. I hope we can let you know when it's done. You'd love it. Keep up the great work promoting breakfast!!!